Quote:
Originally posted by Paul J. Stiles:
Was this taken from a vinyl record?

I ask this because at times, especially on trumpet "blasts", I can hear what sounds like to me as either record damage or cartridge mistracking.

I'd agree with what Paul says. To keep myself honest I wrote down my impressions before going to the 'cheat sheet', and I wonder if maybe the original isn't as clean as it absolutely could be. Some places I could (still can) hear what sounds like old fashioned distortion, maybe the original master was oversaturated or something (or maybe my ears need looked at).

Anyway, the 8 bit sections have got notations in them like 'distorted','sounds like a kazoo','Bad again', etc.

Several places in the 16 bit sections I could hear someting not right, at least to me, but apparently that was either the way it's supposed to sound (I'm more a strings guy) or the original is not all it could be.

I was not able to clearly hear transitions, except for a few where we switched from 8->16 or 16->8, but there are notations in the middle if some sections where we went from 12->8 or 8->12 where I noted things.

I suspect an ABX of this and the original would be more productive, but it is a great demo, one that will stay in my collection.

Nice work! I'm sending it on to Matt Hill.