DollarBill:

Glad you had fun with it. I have to admit that 12 bit and even 8 bit doesn't sound as bad as would be imagined. The dead giveaway of course is the increased hiss of the 8 bit. That's the dither noise. BTW Gonk has a copy of the entire CD that I made with entire tracks quanitzed at the three bit levels and a big selection of originally 24 bit reverb tails, fades, etc at the three bit depths. It was intended to show how digital audio can sound when delibrately or accidently screwed up. I'm sure he could forward it to you.

Well, my friend was totally snowballed. But I have to admit I didn't tell him before hand that the track was doctored. I just played it all the way through for him, and then asked him if he found _anything_ amiss. He didn't. Then I told him he had been listening to 8 bit audio, and he didn't believe me, and still swore that he could instantly tell the difference between 24 bit and 16 bit stereo recordings of the same program. At the time I didn't have any 24 bit sources like I do now, so I just had to shrug my shoulders and suggest we go out for dinner, and of course a pitcher of Margaritas.

PS: Nah, the "I couldn't hear any changes" argument didn't work on my wife, but enough of the above mentioned Margaritas, and maybe some flowers.....well.....

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited October 15, 2002).]