Well, I've listened to the sound challenge .wav file a few times now.

I have not been much of a jazz fan, but I enjoyed this music very much. Maybe it is time to get a new/better CD player, one with SACD capability perhaps and to start exploring jazz. Then I will listen again and see, oops, hear what I can hear.

Some general comments/questions.

Was this taken from a vinyl record?

I ask this because at times, especially on trumpet "blasts", I can hear what sounds like to me as either record damage or cartridge mistracking. Also, in the very last few seconds, as the music is fading out, I can hear what sounds like to me as line induced hum (60Hz or 120Hz hum). Bings I do not know when this recording was recorded, I have no idea what limitations the recording equipment.

I have the most confidence in identifying the transitions from 8 bits to 16 bits and almost as confident when going from 16 bits to 8 bits. 8 bit transitions. Of course these would be more noticeable than four bit transitions, of which I am less confident.

The background hiss level seemed higher and less random in the 8 bit sections. The decay of tapped cymbals was harsher and truncated. Yada-yada-yada.

(results were here but I removed them so as to not influence others)

To describe things with impercise terms:

The main sounds of this music were not all that much changed when going from one bit depth to another. The sounds around the main sounds, however, were changed. Fewer bits, more blockier and harsh sounding with a less smooth decay. To me it sounds possible that with fewer bits, a lot of the low level detail is lost. Instead, there is false details created by the cruder 12 bit or 8 bit word depth.

Even is one is not able to consciously recognize a lower or higher bit depths, I supect listener fatigue will set in sooner with a lower bit depth.

I personally find that when I visit a high-end audio shop (or a low end), I usually start getting a headache in a few minutes in most cases. The times I don't is when I am listening to a good (good for me, anyway ... was it good for you?) system. I have gotten headaches from some very expensive and highly regarded equipment.

Paul, stilespj@mindspring.com

------------------
the 1derful1

[This message has been edited by Paul J. Stiles (edited October 14, 2002).]