Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin C Brown:
Huh? When I went through the process of eq'ing my sub, I plotted my sub alone, my mains alone, and the sub + mains, from 20 Hz to 98 Hz (Autosound 2000 test CD) through the 60 Hz crossover point. I never saw a 6 dB rise. In fact, most crossovers I'm familiar with, set the high pass filter for the mains at -3 dB and the low pass filter for the sub at - 3dB at the crossover freq so that you get *flat* freq response through the crossover point...

Questions:
1.) your sub+mains were flat from 20-98hz?
2.) did you move the mic around the room for each plot point?
3.) is the room acoustically corrected?
4.) did you use a 1/3 octave real time analyzer, or a rs spl meter?

1.) we're talking about a low frequency high pass filter, not a crossover network.
2.) depending on the Q of the filter, which to me at least is unknown, a hump or a hole may be the case, but NEVER flat when the filter frequency is above Fs.
3.) my software contains only info for 2nd order active high pass filters. i am unfamiliar with digital filters (and would like any info or links that might clue me)
4.) the 950 specifications list only analog filter info, i can find not one word about 'dsp precision bass management' in the manual...i would also appreciate any info anyone may have on this subject.
5.) i am basically clueless to any test or plot anyone may have made on there setup at home. i only know what my software tells me, and it virtually never lies. i would surely like to know the answer to this part of the bass management puzzle.
6.) in the meanwhile, i do not use bass management at all. i plays it da way dey mixes it. also, if i fail soundhound's 12bit vs 16 bit test, i'm gonna listen to only AM radio for the rest of my life, and all of this will be moot. (i think he rigged the disc)