One would want constant spl (sound pressure level), which would correspond to constant power (assuming reasonably flat speaker frequency response). I remember years ago a discussion about active crossover design. One design used active circuitry to get a high pass or low pass signal that was used for the appropriate driver(s). This same signal was subtracted from the full range signal to get the complimentary low or high pass signal. Example: take a full range signal and using Rs and Cs and whatever active device of choice, get, for example, a high pass filter which can be used for a tweeter or a low pass limited speaker system. Take this same low pass limited signal and subtract it from the full range signal and you have a (derived) low pass signal which can be use appropriately.

I recall the discussion of this derived ciruit: the general consensus was that when the active signal was summed with the derived signal, proper voltage was the result. One wants proper (flat) power, which this derived approach does not give.

I have my ICBM between my power amps and pre amp. The only bass management done in my system is done by the icbm is it is used to send the bass below 60 or 80 Hz (I am still playing around with it) to the subs.

Paul

------------------
the 1derful1