Quote:
The big mistake I beleve they made was not mandating that _all_ speakers be full range in the first place.

Do you really mean this literally? It is generally agreed by most all audiophiles that if your speakers are not capable of reproducing the frequency range from 20kHz down to 20Hz -no more than -3dB down- then you do not have full range speakers. Period. Those speakers that are capable of this are very expensive- I bet not many participating at this site have such a set-up. (Especially 5 of them). I do not consider a speaker/subwoofer setup using an external crossover to meet the criteria of a full range speaker, even in a stereo arrangement. As charlie said the other day, Dolby 5.1 was designed for 5 full range speakers and a subwoofer for LFE. (If, as you say, the studios choose to ignore the LFE channel, then I suppose that is their perogative). If "they" had mandated full range speakers only, most of us would be looking for a new hobby. IMHO, bass management_for most of us_using our pre/pro's capabilities works fine. I have no problem with your setup- in fact there are some advantages to be had with it. I just think the intention was/is to have an _easy_ and workable solution for the "masses". By the way, I have 2 subs that I used to operate in similar stereo configuration to what you have going (using an external stereo crossover). I now have them stacked near a corner and get better results in my room for both HT and music. Not perfect by any means, but I'm still working with them. YMMV! And then you have **THX**! So, everybody -- set all your speakers to "small" and crossovers at 80Hz and be amazed at how well it works! But don't tell anybody 'cause most will never admit they have anything that's considered small.

[This message has been edited by steves (edited October 12, 2002).]