I suppose this bass management and redirection is only an acedemic debate. If not, your vexations over technical aspects must surely impede the enjoyment of listening.
For what it is worth. I feel almost any speaker out there (that is affordable by most and some) will be greatly enhanced by a seperate subwoofer/woofers. Plus most systems will function better when the massive power requirements of the sub are self dedicated. I recently added a 15" Tempest to my system with the 1050. My speakers when measured by a SPL meter rolled off at about 40Hz. After many measurements I found the flattest response (down to 20Hz) I got with intergrating the sub with my speakers was setting the crossover to 100Hz. Technically I should have been able to crossover lower; probably at 60Hz but the 100Hz gave me the flattest response (used the SPL meter correction charts also). Why at 100Hz I don't know. Room acoustics, accuracy or the functioning of the crossover in the 1050? Beats me. The sub is driven by a regular amp (no crossover).
Now that it is set I sit back and enjoy my music. But then every now and then a dark cloud crosses my mind; would some Burr/Brown DACs sound better than the AKM DACs of the 1050? Hmmmmm.