bosso...

Quote:
the only way high pass filtering the signal to any of those speakers before the amp makes sense, is if they are a single speaker that isn't meant to receive a full range signal (ie, live sound setup, bi-amping or tri-amping).

Actually your statement above isn't true. You might be quite surprised how you can improve both bass frequency accuracy in the room and the mid-bass to mid-range clarity of your main speakers when you high-pass tower speakers. You actually reduce the THD of the tower's bass/mid-bass driver.

You also said;

Quote:
if i assume what has been posted in this thread to be actually the answer to my question (sub set to 'no', lfe is digitally 'y-jacked' and sent equally to L/R mains along with any info from channels set to SMALL below whatever high pass point may have been selected), then:

a.) your sub, or subs are receiving double bass in all formats.
b.) your mains are receiving less than a full range signal, even though they are set to LARGE.
c.) you have phase problems, even if all SMALL speakers are set to the same crossover point.

Remember, there is an active xover splitting all the bass going to the main channels between the mains and the sub(s). So your point (a) is false, point (b) is obvious, point (c) is false.

In your setup as you specified above, if the lfe is decoded from the DVD player and the rest of the channels are decoded from the processor, do you think they are actually timed correctly? I doubt it.

Have you used a professional MLS based acoustic measurement system and observed the waterfall charts in the bass region? Note any bass frequency timing anomolies? With your setup I would expect to see timing problems between the DVD and processor DSP outputs.

[This message has been edited by bstan (edited October 12, 2002).]