Bosso:

Sounds like the setup you describe will handle it all, and very handily. My grandmother might have a bit of trouble setting it all up though, your grandmother's milage will obviously vary.

I don't know however how you get the conclusions of double bass, phase problems, etc. in my particular setup. The surrounds send any bass below 60hz _supposedly_ to the L&R fronts. The LFE is "Y"ed to the L&R fronts, and the center's bass is likewise "Y"ed to the L&R fronts. Now, from recent posts about the possible workings of the 950s 'bass management', I could be totally, and completely and utterly _wrong_ about my faith in the steering being what I assume it is. The only way this could be checked out for sure is for me to buy that Dolby Digital mastering software for my workstation so that I could make a test DVD. I've been putting that off since it's expensive, and I've not had a huge demand for what it does. Maybe that time is coming.

All my speakers are very capable of running 'large'. I am seriously going to re-evaluate running them that way, and only running the LFE to the main L&R for distribution to the subwoofers by the external crossover. Actually and truthfully, the only reason I started running the surrounds in 'small' is because I was driving them so hard during the storm opening scene in "Twister" that the woofers hit bottom with a big 'snap' - I'm sure you know that sound! The reason I started doing it for the center is because it sounded a bit tubby, since it sits on the floor (it has two 12" woofers).

I have to admit that I don't _hear_ anything unusual that would suggest double bass/phase problems etc. when listening to DVDs, but I might just change them back to 'large' after all. I do most of the really critical listening to my system with the 'mixing console' path, so when I listen to a DVD, I kind of lower my critical standard. And besides, in the mixing console path, I feed full range signals to all the speakers anyway, since I don't use any bass management on anything other than the 950.

Anyway, Tweak time!

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited October 12, 2002).]