every tower speaker, center channel speaker and surround speaker worth a damn has a passive 2 , 3 or 4-way crossover built in.

the only way high pass filtering the signal to any of those speakers before the amp makes sense, is if they are a single speaker that isn't meant to receive a full range signal (ie, live sound setup, bi-amping or tri-amping).

therefore...all speakers should be set to LARGE.

that leaves the lfe channel. i have yet to read one single word that details the 950's dsp "precision bass management" feature, especially, what happens to the lfe signal with sub set to 'no' and with the high pass filters set to any choice.

someone point me to the correct page, please.

if i assume what has been posted in this thread to be actually the answer to my question (sub set to 'no', lfe is digitally 'y-jacked' and sent equally to L/R mains along with any info from channels set to SMALL below whatever high pass point may have been selected), then:

a.) your sub, or subs are receiving double bass in all formats.
b.) your mains are receiving less than a full range signal, even though they are set to LARGE.
c.) you have phase problems, even if all SMALL speakers are set to the same crossover point.
d.) your setup is less than setting the sub to 'yes', as you would have full range to the mains that way, otherwise it is no different than the 'standard' setup.

bass management is actually very simple...

a.) set all speakers to LARGE.
b.) buy a sub with an onboard bypassable preamp, adjustable phase control, parametric eq (optimized for lfe) and variable low pass filter.
c.) connect the analog lfe output of your DVD player directly to the sub.
d.) set the sub to 'yes' (nothing is connected to the prepro's .1 output)

no double bass, no phase problems that can't be easily adjusted on the sub's front panel, good sound for HT or any music format.

am i crazy? stop by and listen. i've painstakingly tried all three setups with every combination of crossover setting. this setup works....and grandma handles it very easily.
soundhound...you are a bad influence...i am not used to margaritas at all, much less a pitcher full! though,it sounded like a good idea at the time.