Charlie:

I'm not quite sure I follow your drift, but anyway... I think having 5 full range speakers is the way to go for SACD and DVD audio in multichannel, and having a "boom channel" for movies is the way to go, also....but.....It's just that multichannel music discs are such a new medium, and there's no real standards on how to devide up the bass. I think that the .1 LFE is pretty useless for music (personally) and that all the speakers should be full range (the .1 not used for anything). But most people have smaller satellites, and therefore that .1 raises it's ugly head, and the temptation to use it by the mixers of the music discs, forcing their bass management on you. What to put there?? That's the problem. I just think that with a mono subwoofer, there's just no elegant way to do it (I'm talking about music discs only here) that does not mess with the imaging. I myself don't make use of the LFE at all, even in movies (you might know this already from previous threads). I re-direct the LFE and all the bass from the other speakers to the front left and right mains, and the bass is re-directed by an electronic crossover at 60hZ to stereo subs which sit next to their respective left and right main speakers. I guess my point in all this is that I'm approximating full range speakers all round, while keeping stereo bass ambience, and still getting the punch from the LFE track in movies. Geez - I think I'm rambling on again...........

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited October 10, 2002).]