Quote:
Originally posted by charlie:
...I notice it offers a person the chance to subjectively or objectively (if one has the tools) compare DD, DTS and the 'Master' (although not a digital master) since it has all three onboard.

Just keep in mind that the three versions might not be made from the same source (i.e. are the Dolby and DTS versions made from the analog master directly, or from the 24 bit PCM master). They might have done some subtle tweaking for the different versions in the mastering stage, in level or EQ for example. Note that at least until recently, for the DTS version of movie soundtracks, they used the 35mm 6 track magnetic film print of the soundtrack as their source. Dolby Digital masters are made on the dubbing stage, after the film is mixed, and directly from the mixing console (they actually send a guy with the 'Dolby Box" to the stage and plug him in). Not only does the DTS magnetic film version introduce it's own 'colorations" (Good ones, I'd say), but DTS used it's own proprietary low frequency equalization for it's 35 mm playback machines, boosting the low frequencies somewhat. This can, and does introduce audible differences between versions.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited October 10, 2002).]