Bigmac:

Read my 3rd post above. I didn't just throw away the lower bits - it was done the proper way with professional mastering software and a ProTools digital audio workstation, by taking the lower bits of the original file and folding them into the lower bits of the new file during a direct digital bounce to hard disc. Noise shaped dither was added at the same time at the appropriate bit depth. Trust me, I work with digital audio daily (yes, including 24 bits, multichannel) as a Music Editor for motion pictures, and I know what I'm doing. This IS a valid test. I don't have any particular agenda here, other than to give people who wouldn't have an opportunity otherwise to hear what these lower bit resolutions sound like, and maybe they'll have a little fun in the process. Why don't you keep an open mind and download the file when it becomes available, or get it from one of the people I have sent it to when they are finished with it.

I didnt mention on my original post that this track is just part of an entire CD I made, containing a variety of material, and YES, I made ORIGINAL 16, 12 and 8 bit recordings of a piano for the CD. And yes, I made 24 bit ones also, as my workstation is capable of 24 bit resolution. I simply made the Miles Davis available because it is widely recognized as an audiophile favorite demo piece that many people already posess, so they can compare.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited October 10, 2002).]