Applejelly and others,

Well I set up the Panamax power filter/surge protector to see if that would make a difference in the hiss.....and no difference. The sound still is really excellent, except for the hiss audible from listening position-- 4 feet (rears). And about 7-10 feet (fronts).

I contacted Scott for help and I was disappointed in his reply. He said audible hiss from "four feet does not necessarily
constitute a loud hiss (especially with efficient speakers)". He offered no suggestions on how to reduce the hiss.

So I guess he is saying that is expected operation and I should either live with it or send it back. So I will keep it for the 30 days and decide...

In the mean time, I've contacted my local Rotel dealer who is a great guy, and I'll see if I can get a loaner 1066 from him. I wonder if the 1066 has a muting circuit?

One more interesting item-- the Panamax has indicator lights that show voltage level. The 120 volts light never goes on-- so that means the power feed is alwasy under voltage? When I turn everything on (TV too), the voltage drops even more so the 115 VAC light flickers. I guess that is normal?