Long time lurker, first time poster

Just spent 5 hours doing extensive A/B testing between my 950 (received last week) and my friends Atlantic Technology P-2000.

First some background (yes, the Atlantic is prettier), we tested the two units on his system which consists of:

Pioneer Elite Pro700 HD
Vienna Acoustics Speakers
Rel Sub
Panasonic RP91
B&K amp (Forget the model number. He wants to get the new Atlantic Amp, but it’s not shipping yet.)
All Kimber cables

Since the Atlantic was already connected we started with his unit first and wrote down each and every setting. Then, using my trusty RatShack SPL meter we calibrated to 75 dB. We then connected the 950 up, copied all of the settings and re-checked the level calibrations. All settings were right on except for the center which was 2 dB hotter on the 950??

After a good four hours or so of testing we could not hear an audible difference between the two of us. So, we brought in "Golden Ears" (I don’t know, that’s what he calls the wife when it comes to HT.) So we ran the gamut… Diana Krall to the Beastie Boys, Moulin Rouge to the Lord of the Rings, and nothing. "Golden Ears" didn’t hear a difference either.

To answer a couple of issues that have been brought up here, the Atlantic handles bass management on the multi-channel inputs the same way as the Outlaw. Also, we ran the RP91 through the component switching on both pieces to his Elite set. In each case they picture was crisp and the colors were great. We saw no difference between going direct and using the switching capabilities of either unit.

So, I am quite pleased to say that I will not be purchasing the Atlantic, I’m keeping my 950! As for my buddy, he loves his Atlantic (can’t say I blame him, it sounds gooood ) but his wife was pretty upset when she found out mine was only $899.

"Yes, they're called doctors."

Tommy Boy