Your 950 appears to be working as designed, MeanGene. I don't know why it works this way, but if you list the center or the surrounds as "none" you lose the 5/7 Stereo mode. (Losing it with no surrounds makes sense. Losing it with no center seems a little odd.) I tried it briefly using an analog stereo input this morning, and found that I still had the Pro Logic II and NEO6 modes available (including PLII with CES when I disabled the center channel). So if you have no center channel, you apparently cannot use the 5/7 Stereo mode. All other modes remain available, however.

Quote:
If you set the center channel to "none" and then watch TV through the 950 you will only get stereo. When you press the stereo button on the remote your only choices will be stereo. You will not have the choice of Stereo 5 or Stereo 7 mode. This means that you will not be able to hear the rear channels or the sub woofer. You have to turn on the center channel to be able to use anything more that 2 speakers in a non-DTS mode.

You should still hear the subwoofer in Stereo mode, assuming that your mains are "small." And you aren't restricted to DTS only -- you are losing the 5/7 Stereo mode only. For TV viewing, I use PLII, which does support a phantom center.

Gotta head off to work now... Hope that helps some...

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review