Quote:
You are not using the center speaker, but have you gone into the Configuration Menu of the 950 and selected "None" for the center channel? If you have and you are able to play all different modes, then there is something wrong with my 950. I am only able to 2.0 with the center channel disabled.

MeanGene-- I believe AZRyan, who posts here occasionally, has always operated with a phanton center-- and in fact had a whole thread going on the subject. I'm sure if there was a problem, he would have mentioned it long ago. Anyway, I did a check on my 950 by going to Speaker Configuration and selecting- Center: NONE and played both DD and DTS in 5.1(LOTR and Gladiator) with NO problems. Surrounds were active- working "as normal". I am not sure why yours is not working. Many, if not most, movies start in 2.0 DD for the intro credits and selection menu and don't switch to multi-channel until the thing starts.

Quote:
So I don't think not supporting a phantom center in some modes is a matter of MIPS, I think it's a software oversight. Either someone didn't think to include it, or somebody didn't want to write the code to do it.

Matthew, does your 950 not operate with a phantom center selected? Have you tried?
I would think being able to select "NO" for a center channel is pretty much a stock option in anybody's surround processor- I really doubt they would leave this option out.