Hi all -

Just got my 1050 yesterday and couldn't wait to hook it up. Everything went smoothly - pulled my old Carver 752 out and connected by DVD player, VCR, TV and a home PC to the inputs. It was early in the morning, so I had to begin my listening tests at low volumes as to not wake up the family :-)

To my surprise, the lack of bass was SO evident. I quickly found another post here that discussed what I was experiencing, although he sent his receiver back in for a new one. I had all the connections and bass management set correctly, but almost nothing was coming from the bass drivers in my front speakers (where I route all bass - no subwoofer at this point).

Finally I cranked it up and the sound was glorious! All the bass kicked in when I got to about 30-35 on the volume.

Its unfortunate, but I think this receiver does not compensate for the human ear's characteristics of hearing bass at low levels. (ie, 'loudness' circuitry's aim). I listen to music in the house all day, at moderately low levels (around 20?) and this receiver has made my speakers sound like small tabletop radios. The Carver's loudness circuit pulled all the bass up.

Thinking of adding a subwoofer now. Darn! There goes by $499 advantage!

Tom