Quote:
And in that case, I'm strongly leaning towards either the Rotel 1066 with an optional Sony P9K (as Merc has with his 950) or maybe waiting a bit and looking at the next B&K Ref.
IMO, if you aren't going to the Anthem, I'd get the Outlaw. In my A/B with the Rotel and the Ref30, I preferred the 950 sonically and, of course, cost effectively. Since in my system the 950s and 1066s hiss was identical, it was a non-issue. As far as analog BM was concerned during analog bypass playback, the 950 and 1066 has identical problems(or benefits depending on your speaker setup). The Ref30 had NO BM in analog passthrough. Tonally, I thought the Ref 30 was warm to the point of veiled, and the Rotel was somewhere between the 950 and the Ref 30 in the analytical to veiled, harsh to warm continuum.

In the way that I am using the 950, I would need to get an Anthem to come close to the performance for both music and movies. For me, I see no benefit on spending any more than $900 for a preamp processor unless I decide to spend the money for the Anthem. YMMV!
merc\'s primary system