[QUOTE]Originally posted by bbpj:
[B]Are there any other comparable units to the 950 on the market now for under $2000.

THIS, gentlemen, is the bottom line of every issue. we all know the answer to bbpj's question.

from the rapidly changing formats to the license fees and agreement paperwork, to lack of standards in speaker setup, bass 'management', battles over which information should go where, at what word length and sampling rate, piracy battles, the complexity of trafficking every conceivable device in every conceivable way, it is a mammoth undertaking to design, manufacture, market, hell, even to write the manual for, distribute, troubleshoot, repair, replace and otherwise bring a modern prepro into enough satisfied hands, before the thing is hopelessly outdated, AND, make enough profit to justify the whole effort.
much less, for $899 plus shipping.

i use the piss out of this little gray box...every day. it never ceases to make me smile. i almost wish i had a problem with my 950, hiss or otherwise, so that i could sympathize with some of you, but i truly don't, and the option to return it remained for 30 days after purchase.

i think outlaw audio knocked the damn cover off the ball with this prepro. they are listening to every word said here. they'll do it again with the next generation prepro.

i'm so glad i didn't have to pay $3k for a bit better sound, a bit more options and a bit quieter unit. the difference allowed me to buy a very good dvd/sacd player, another pair of full range floor standers, an astoundingly good sub and take my lovely wife out for a nice meal. the movie was free and sounded better than any movie house i've been to.