Jim,

While there are sonic differences between the Anthem AVM20 and the Outlaw 950 (and the Outlaw 950 may have some QA problems), the differences between the AVM20 and the Outlaw 950 (or for that matter, differences within the Outlaw 950 due to QA problems), should pale in comparison to the sonic differences between the 950 and your 26 year old solid state integrated amplifier.

I am reasonably sure that if you brought home an Anthem and put it in your system, like you did with your 950, you would hear something very close to what you heard with the 950/770 in your system, rather than what you heard with your 26 year old integrated amp in your system.

As I mentioned previously, speaker placement may have to change in order to get a good soundstage when switching from your 26 year old integrated amp to a modern pre/pro. Also if you have a poor CD player or cables, the 950 could reveal problems not revealed with the 26 year old integrated amp.

Lastly, it is possible that you may have a lousy 950 and a replacement may solve the problem you hear.

Quote:

I am in the Santa Clara, California, near San Jose. Anyone interested in helping me figuring this thing out? Your help would be appreciated.

I hope someone comes forward in your area, so that you can hear what a properly set up 950 can sound like. If you ever are in the Los Angeles area, I would be pleased to let you hear my set up.

Will