Just to try something different I've spent some free time the last couple of days searching "hiss" at Audio Asylum(tweakers/DIY forum, general forum, and preamp/amp forum) and the PS Audio Power Forum.

All I can say is I've learned a hell of a lot about hiss, and to my suprise how often a lot systems have it (some just louder than others), how some very expensive pre amps and amps have it (Classe, Bryston, Lex, yada!!), to some extent what causes it (from less expensive parts (I/C's?), to faulty cables, to high gain amps, to tubes, etc).

My suggestion to anyone who is "stressing" over hiss that CANNOT be heard over source material, or from < than 1 maybe 2 feet away AT NORMAL listening levels (not yelling/just being exact), go and search these forums actually for some enlightning reading. If you hear hiss over your source, even during soft passages from your seating/listening area, work with Scott/Mike for a replacement.

A request to anyone who can try this for me: on CD input (or any analog input)/no source playing, select 5 channel stereo as output and at normal level/than at +10 and what do you hear. I'm getting hiss plus some funky ringing noise from my center channel.At plus 10 not a pleasent sound at all. Thanks