Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan:
But to me it seems like the surrounds loose alot of information on EX encoded DVD's too. For example like Star Wars DVD when I switch to 6.1 all the surround info seems to get collapsed to the rear surround and the R + L surround speakers DB drops. So I don't use 6.1 with the outlaw and just listen to movies in 5.1. because it seems to sound better that way.

Johnathan: Can you please confirm, if I am reading your post correctly and what I believe you are inferring.

1) You have a rear center channel speaker. 2) When you play an EX coded DVD the db level for the left and right surrounds drops with the result being most of the rear information is focused on the rear center.

If so, do you get bursts of strongly directional sound at the correct sound level from your right and level rear surrounds?

To me this would be potentially indicative that the 1050 is handling 6.1 information correctly (by moving general non specific rear information to the rear center) and only giving the right and left surrounds more than a minimal signal when appropriate.

If I am correct, the flaw in 5.1 processing is the problem. If true the workaround is flawed because it would be equivalent to listening to a front configuration without a center channel and without turning on phantom mode to simulate this speaker by redirecting the signals to left and right fronts.

Of course, everyone could be right (for their 1050) if there are differences in 1050 signal processing firmware in how the 1050 handled 6.1 sound.
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra