I am afraid my experience doesn't match what you are saying. I rechecked and retested my configuration twice, wrote this note, tested again and edited it so it exactly matched what I am seeing. If you can tell me what I did wrong I would appreciate it. The chronology of what happens is listed below.

For what its worth, while I would like to fix the problem without getting a rear center speaker, if doing so is utimately the best solution for what might appear to be a whole parade of dvd's the 1050 can't handle properly, then I would like to know that (if nothing else to prepare the better half). Also if there are different releases of 1050 firmware, such that a out of warranty service will solve the problem, I would like to know that. Also for what its worth, I didn't notice this problem using the 1050 and Pearl Harbor or JP III.

0) System configured for the rear center on. Note, the 1050 display shows the Center surround (CS) light as off even though tabbing through the speaker configuration shows it on. Dolby 6.1 shows as off. The only connection (audio or video)from my DVD (a Panasonic RP56)to the 1050 is Optical Digital #1. The 1050 displays Dolby Digital

1) Insert HP CoS and hit play. The 1050 display continues to shows Dolby Digital while the intro plays and the surround sound is great.

The HP CoS menu comes up and the 1050 displays Dolby prologic while the DVD waits for me to hit enter or play.

2) I hit enter and the DVD starts playing the movie. The 1050 returns to Dolby Digital and the surround sound is fine. A few seconds into the movie, there is a single dropout and the 1050 lights up on its own in Dolby Surround 6.1 mode. The 1050's CS light comes on. When this happens the rear surround volume level drops substantially.

3) I attempt to return to Dolby Digital and the hit the 6.1 button on the 1050, the Dolby Surround 6.1 mode display drops and is replaced by a Dolby Digital display on the 1050. When this happens the CS light on the 1050 goes off. The surround sound level seems to rise but a few seconds later, the audio drops and my 1050 again displays Dolby Surround 6.1 and the CS light is on again. Again, the volume level of the surround sound is significantly lower than before.

4) I repeat test 3, using the 6.1 button on the 1050 remote. The same experience happens again.

6) I recalibrate my 1050 surround settings with the 1050 display showing Dolby surround 6.1 on using the Avia (which for what its worth doesn't seem to support 6.1). I now have the right rear set at +10db the left at +9.

7) I replay HP. CoS and this time leaving the 1050 in Dolby Surround Sound 6.1 mode. Again the rear seems low as if a lot of the signal is missing. FWIW, when the scene in HP COS where Harry is rescued from the Dursleys comes on, there is a very brief burst (2-3 seconds ) of strong surround sound as the flying car moves around. Otherwise the rear sound is very minimal.

[This message has been edited by 73Bruin (edited April 26, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by 73Bruin (edited April 26, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by 73Bruin (edited April 27, 2003).]
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra