Mix,

Yuo said -"The meters have omnidirectional mics so pointing them at the ceiling while sitting in your listening position is a good compromise."
A good compromise of what? Accuracy? Yes it is a compromise. IMO a big one, and one of many.

And I know that the mic is omnidirectional (well actually it isn't but you're already sick of be being technical), but your ears aren't omnidirectional so the readings taken aimed up wouldn't set the surrounds loud enough for your ears that (facing forward) muffle the rear output.

That's why some hold the SPL meter directly forward. That's why some others point it directly at each individual speaker.

Just one of the many variables you're sick of me mentioning. It certainly would give you very very diff. results though in each position.

Show me how you're right and I'll eliminate it as a variable. I'd be happy to.

You added -"As far as other listening positions, you are going to have those very same variables whether you use a meter or not."
Yeah... That's the exact point I made!

Adding -"The meter is a tool. It gives you physical representation of what you are just 'guessing at' by not using it. The variables remain the same with or without the meter. The thinking man uses all tools at this disposal."

A knowledgable man doesn't bother to use a flawed tool. Maybe you don't understand that the processor inside your skull and microphones attached to the side of your head haven't been proven to be less accurate a judging the speaker levels than the proven flawed SPL meter.

Lastly stating -"Do what you will, but can we move on to something else now? See you on the next topic."

Who's stopping you from moving on? What of weird thing to say.
You don't have to post or even look at the thread, and I'm not stopping the existance of other topics from being discussed. Not that there's anything really 'happenin' anywhere on the Outlaw forum right now.