To avoid confusion, I have modified this post to reflect that the following comments were posted earlier by Merc. He has since chosen to delete his comments. This is not intended to be disrespectful to Merc...just to clarify what I was responding to.

Merc wrote:
"Of course, if you fully subscribe to a well constructed scientific trial, and of reaching a significant p value, then I'm sure that these folks did each test hundreds or thousands of times, right? And, that they tested every possible combination of every available source, preamp, amp, and speaker combination... oh damn, and then again, what they heard or didn't hear may have been affected by their speaker cables and power cables... oh dang, and how about the specific media they used? Did they also test each possible CD, vinyl, tape, etc??? So, if they didn't then their results are ONLY valid for those specific pieces of gear they did use, as long as they did enough repetitions in order to reach significance. Oh yeah, finally, their testing WAS Double Blind as well, correct?
Why can't each person listen to their own gear and each person make their own personal decision?
Remember... perception IS reality.”

Hi Merc,

I had this same perspective through most of the 1980’s lingering into the 90’s until I participated in several dozen controlled test using multiple systems and in varying locations… only to find I really never score higher than what could be considered a random outcome. I did not try every possible combination in the world but felt that it was a good representation.

At first, after repeated failings on my part, I believed that the test were not conducive to showing the difference…differences I KNEW existed, and I set out to prove the “engineers” wrong.

Always the tests were simple double blind setups. I was allowed all the time I wanted before I registered my final input. The test were conducted by and with several audio designers and manufacturers who then, and now, believe that a properly designed cable, with stable electronics, will not have a sound of their own. This is not to say that you can’t have poor designs (LCR issues) and/or electrical (impedance) mis-matches that will cause measurable and audible differences. But I assume we all are discussing properly setup systems.

After a few years of being one of the “Audiophiles”, side by side with the audio engineers who conducted these test, I finally started to accept that what I had perceived was not repeatable when my sighted knowledge of the cables was removed. It humbled me and made me ponder what were the reasons why I was so sure I had heard all those differences through the years. My conclusion…speaking for myself only…simply is poor or no control over the evaluation procedures and environment. Also once you believe and buy into these perceived differences it’s very hard to control the emotions and ego that can develop with those beliefs and then admit that you may have been mistaken.

“Remember... perception IS reality”

I can’t argue this point. There are those who will call Miss Cleo to find out what’s in store for them…some who believe that Pro Wrestling is real…or swear that a car goes faster after being washed (I still fall into this camp) .

Those who wish to play with cables are fine by me.

I’ve been there, done that. Have Fun!!!

Best regards,
Tom Garcia

[This message has been edited by TJG (edited June 29, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by TJG (edited June 29, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by TJG (edited June 30, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by TJG (edited June 30, 2002).]