Yup, I've listened to various cables in various situations. I can recognize DAC differences in a heartbeat. I can detect a loose cable. I can tell when a certain door is open to my theater (different room acoustics). As long as a cable is well constructed (not shoddy, loose soldering, etc) -- it had no audible differences from any other cable.

You said that you heard a difference, and you were positive of it. Was this a level matched, double blind test?? If the volume differed by as much as 0.5 dB, you'll hear a difference from that. Did you see the cables being switched? That can cause a psychological effect. Was there any time delay between each audition? It is well proven that your ears cannot reliably make qualitative comparisons, even on the same recording when there is even a short listening gap (such as while cables are swapped around).
You said you did this test with the same pre/pro on many different speakers. To what length did you go to ensure NO other factors were involved?

In short, I'd bet dollars to donuts that you cannot reliably identify the differences in cables in any scientifically controlled test. I've seen test after test after test where someone had the same convictions as you -- "I know they sound different". Put the same people, the same equipment, the same cables into a real test, and they do no better than random chance. I've even seen tests like this where the cables were NEVER changed, the listener just THOUGHT it was being done, and they start identifying differences in "transparency", "air", and
"musicality".

Believe it if you want. Buy more expensive cables if you want. I'm putting my money in things that really matter.

Oh yeah -- if you still believe in this, I've got some "acoustic pyramids" that will dramatically improve the soundstage in your room. Just put these blocks of wood strategically around your room, chant appropriately, and you won't believe the improvement

[This message has been edited by bigmac (edited June 28, 2002).]