charlie- I have a queation for you. Have you ever gone to a high end home theater store and listened to the same eqiptment with different interconnections, (i.e. speaker wire, audio RCA's, etc..) ? I personally have been able to do this at some local hi fi stores over the past couple of years, and have noticed quite a bit of difference in the audio performance of a system using one cable over another! Everything in speakers from Martin Logan, Dynaudio, JM Labs, to Energy, Boston, and Def Tech's. Most of these tests were run through KRELL gear. I not only notices sonic differences in different manufactures cables when compaired with one another, I also noticed differences in a single companies product line, and with the difference in price that is just what I would expect.
What I am trying to say is that If you have not gone out and researched this by either going and listening to different cables, or by purchasing different cables and demoing them on your home system, then where is the foundation for your disbelief! If you HAVE done the research and still cannot tell the difference, then you are absolutely welcome to your opinion, as everyone is, and your opinion is well noted! For those of us that are able to discern the differences between interconnections sonics, those are who I believe are the intended people this thread was started for.
One more thing. The intention of creating higher quality cable for high end components is so that there is LESS introduced distortion, escentially making the cables/wires more transparent. Lower grade wires usually introduce MORE distortion, and again some people are capable of detecting this difference, and others are not. From what I have read and learned a cable/wire is never meant to audibly augment the signal passing through it, or act as any type of EQ., as you put it. It's sole job is transfering the signals from one device to another with the very least amount of sonic loss possible, or to theoreticly "get-out-of-the-way" of the components that they tie together.