In all fairness, brightness can be looked at as harsh or detailed, and warm can be looked at as smooth or muddled. Here is a good example of where warm systems can't get the detail: Listen to a piece with high piano notes and a bright system will have a shrill crisp sound, which some will claim is harsh but if anyone has ever played a piano they will attest to the fact that the higher keys are indeed a bit on the edgy side when struck. This can also be stated as RAF said, very revealing of the source. A warm system will smooth over the edge part, but that also means, whether the sound improves is subjective, a warm system lacks as much detail as a bright system. The other side argues, Who cares? I can't enjoy music when my ears are bleeding. So it goes both ways. For home theater I will never get rid of my Klipsch because I believe that detail and accuracy are the most important part of recreating surround sound. For music I actually prefer a warm sound because it is less fatiguing and richer, and I have Diva's for that. I just thought I should help people who are getting the idea that warm is considered ultimately better. Its a personal choice and one person's harsh or muddled is another person's detailed or smooth. I am not questioning anybody's opinion on what they believe sounds harsh, I am only trying to show the other side of the coin.

Anyone care to count how many run on and fragmented sentences I just used? Its too late to care.

[This message has been edited by Jed M (edited June 03, 2002).]