If the 950 is bright then it's bright. Buying amps pre/pros and speakers is all a matter of matching components properly. If you have warm speakers and amps then a bright pre/pro could make a good match. Just like a warm pre/pro like the 1066 matched with bright speakers could make a good match.

If I was considering a 950 I would be more conserned with the growing number QA issues and complaints from current owners. Everyone is trying to say things like "maybe the 950 doesn't work well with certain amps". If other pre/pros worked fine with an amp and the 950 doesn't then it's not the amp it's the 950.

If I swap out a part of my system with another peice and all of a sudden my system has a hiss. Then I'm not buying the part that caused the hiss. I should be able to swap in a new part and have equal or better sounds not worse.

From the reports in sounds and QA from current owners and for the amount of time buyers waited for the 950. It's definately not the holy grail of pre/pros. It is what it is. A $900 pre/pro. I think people really did expect a Lexicon killer with great look/feel and true qauility all for $900. Now that the 950 is on the streets it has to stand on it's own. Based on the threads I've read here and on several other boards. You really do get what you pay for.

[This message has been edited by Legairre (edited June 02, 2002).]