Quote:
so I'm not sure exactly what "support" means.
Ellen.

It was pointed out at the beginning of this thread that Outlaw is using the same base DSP chip as the Lexicon MC-12 (a 10K product), some others noted that a lot goes on (and into the sound) with what’s done beyond the chip.

(Near as I understand)
That same chip, decodes the same basic info for both CO’s and also ‘supports’ Harmon using it for Logic 7 processing and Outlaw using it for CES processing (plus whatever else the chip "supports” and each manf. chooses to pay licensing fees to use, such as DPII).
Other manufactures purchasing this chip are not allowed to use this chip to produce Logic 7 as ‘7’ is patented by Harmon International who has never sold the license to use it in the industry.

Its a case of ‘one up mans ship’, and all the sound processing schemes (after the point of decoding truly ‘discrete’ channels separately) I would class as ‘pseudo’ sound processes, attempting to get more out of less, (matrixed channels out of discreet channels). And each new version on the market trys to better the last.
For Harmon I. this promotes people buying a HI product if they want ‘Logic 7’ which is a highly esteemed sound processor, this does not keep other manf. from trying to equal or better ‘Logic 7’ with their own versions of matrixed sound.
Logic 7 has been refined and perfected for awhile now, it seems to be considered one of the benchmark sound matrixing schemes, to try to beat. Outlaw has had great success (the 1050) with getting to certain sound benchmarks, via their own road, given time there’s no telling what they’ll produce as they seem to have already reached an (industry stirring) incredible quality for the price point. And many add, quality valued at any price point.