I too was waiting for Gene's evaluation of how Cirrus Extra Surround compared to Lexicon's Logic 7. Unfortunately, I never got a clear understanding from his review of what CES really is.

He discusses how it processes 2 channel material, but then he mentions it again when he's discussing 5.1 sources that have undergone post processing (as opposed to 5.1 sources with no additional processing, which he discusses further down). So, does CES enhance 2 channel material or 5.1 channel material or both? It's never really clear. He then adds:
Quote:
...PL2-CES Music is an excellent post processing algorithm, likely to become an industry standard like ProLogic. Is it in the same league as Logic 7? Not really, but I would have reported that before I heard the 950, since the MC-12 includes several variants of PL2. All one has to do to compare is put on a CD and and toggle between Logic 7 and PL2 with the remote. PL2 is excellent. I'm glad I have it in the MC-12 - but it is no Logic 7.

He would have reported those findings before hearing the 950 because he could compare Logic 7 to PL II in his MC-12? What does that mean; is CES basically PL II? (Am I missing something here?) Further down he says:
Quote:
...when you play 5.1 software in pure 5.1 mode, the rear speakers are silent with the sides active on the 950, while the reverse is true for the MC-12. This is very noticeable to one accustomed to one or the other.

I have absolutely no idea what he's talking about here. On the MC-12 (or ANY other Lexicon processor, for that matter) if you play a 5.1 source in "pure 5.1 mode", the surrounds are run in parallel: the left surround channel info is sent to the left side & rear speakers and the right surround info is sent to the right side & rear speakers. That is, unlike what Gene has stated, NONE of the speakers are silent. (Trust me on the above; I've owned and used Lexicon processors since 1995, and been living with a MC-12 since August of last year.)

Anyway, I hope he clarifies his statements. Or at the very least I hope someone explains what CES is.

_______
Sanjay