Well made solid state electronics can easily outlast their intended uses, and can outlive a lot of people too. I sort of collect older gear and have found that solid state electronics are almost permanent if not subjected to poor conditions (power surges, vibration, liquids) or abused. Most of the time electro-mechanical parts, the switches and pots are the items that show age (although good cleaner/lubes solve most ailments). As electronic components age some of the values can change but most designers build in some adjustability, a trip to the shop every 5 years or so keeps 'em fresh. I've got late 70's and early 80's stuff like a Pioneer SX-1250 receiver, Sansui G-8000 receiver, Yamaha R-1000 receiver, Sony SQR-8750 quad receiver, Yamaha B-6 amp (pyramid shaped), Rotel RX-1603 receiver and numerous other items that all work like the day they were made. The only problem is that certain features such as Dolby FM decoding is no longer utilized, and on home theater components features will get obsolescent even faster as more computerized processes are added.

I'm on the list for a 950 and I wouldn't buy it if I didn't think it would last at least 10 years, even if it gets sold or relegated to bedroom use after 3-4 years. When you buy good electronics your only problem is to figure out what to do with them once the features are no longer current, if you buy cheap junk with more plastic than metal its only a matter of time before it breaks anyway. Usually the people who buy cheap electronics junk and think they're saving money are the same ones that don't own a business but think leasing cars saves them money over an outright purchase. If this is you your car dealer just loves to see you every 3 years!

As for DVD-A and SACD, I'm also on the fence until a format winner emerges. Hopefully the best sounding one will win but I'm not willing to gamble on anything that entertainment lawyers are involved in since its unlikely the outcome will be in the consumers best interest.

Note: The previously offered curmudgeonly opinions are just opinions, any offended entertainment lawyers should just thicken up their already reptilian skin.