I may be entirely wrong on this, but this is my understanding of the situation: when the Powers That Be allow a digital output from DVD-A/SACD players, the 950 will be stuck right along with nearly every other existing pre/pro and receiver that will have to continue to use an analog connection (a few exceptions may exist here, as some high-end pre/pros have enough modularity that they may be able to be upgraded). The as-yet-nameless Outlaw high-end pre/pro will likely not appear at all until an agreement on this issue is reached, so that digital DVD-A/SACD input can be included. The combination of the new digital interface (which will likely not be the standard coax/optical digital connection, but probably firewire or something similar) and specialized encryption (which will almost certainly require some new hardware to handle) should make a simple software fix impossible.

As for the victor in the DVD-A/SACD war, I was initially skeptical of SACD but am currently not sure where it's going to go (I haven't heard either, but will probably start poking around into the possibilities next year). It may take a few more years to determine a winner, if there is one even then. I sure wouldn't count either format out of it yet...