My top 3 are #4, #3, and also the fact that the 950 IS a dedicated preamp, not a receiver acting as one.

When I decided to go the separates route, part of the reason was so I could eventually install my components in the back of the living room, in a built-in cabinet. This makes a nice clean look at the front of the room with just the TV and speakers. However, it not a good idea to cram an amp, let alone 5 or 7 amps, into a closed cabinet. Too much heat. So my plan requires the amps to be placed someplace else (under the floor in the basement).

So I want a preamp only, not a receiver acting as one. Sure that works for most people, but I also already own a 5 channel amp, so I would rather spend my money on the preamp circuitry and not on unused receiver amplification.

I have also committed to 6.1 and have 2 rear speakers ready to go. That is why #4 is important to me. Trying to find an AV preamp with 6.1 processing is tough, especially if you want DTS ES discrete. This is why the 950 is at the top of my list. (I think it is the only one that makes the list)

Finally, I started my system as music first, home theater second. #3 allows for better sound quality when a decent CD player or DAC is used, as gonk stated.

I also agree with Audioholic's #13.