I am going to be getting a complete overhaul to my hometheater system (essentially i am actually getting one that is not HTIB).

I am going to be purchasing a new TV, DVD player, receiver (or pre/pro in this case), speakers, and possibly a mega cd changer.

Because I am doing this basically from scratch this is going to be a fairly expensive proposition.

I have come to the following decisions:
1) to spend the most money on what I will notice the biggest difference with
2) to spend the most money on which items quality will deterioate the slowest (or economically speaking, which will depreciate the least)

From this I have decided that the RPTV will depreciate the fastest, and therefore I am not willing to sink tons of money into that purchase.

I think that speakers will depreciate the slowest and have a large result on my home theater experience and should get suitable (i.e. considerable) attention from my money.

I have also decided from a quality to price point ratio, Outlaw can not be beat.

Now to my question, would I be better off spending say 2,000-3,000 on speakers and getting the 950/770 pre/pro and power amps or saving over 2,000 by getting the 1050 and spending 4,000-5,000 on speakers.

I should note the following:
1) this will be my primary source for music
2) i don't watch tv outside of sports (I will be getting NFL Ticket next year)
3) i do love movies
4) i watch cable (eventually directtv)sparingly to moderately
5) i live in a nyc apartment and I can not play my music/movies at high volume and my living space is not huge. (however, if i spend a lot of money on speakers and the components, eventually it will be moved to a house)

Any input on this would be appreciated. I am going to go to a good stereo store and look at some nice Definitive and Infinity speakers. I may ask the guy there to test an integra 7.1 and integra 9.1 on these sets of speakers to give me a 'rough' idea in sound quality changes given a large increase in receiver quality. Please note, I am not saying that an integra 7.1 and a 9.1 is equivalent to Outlaw products, however, from a price comparison, they are.

Again, thanks in advance.

Rich