For me, Theater Compensation, whether or not certain frequencies are de-emphasized during theatrical release viewing, is something that I choose based on how my system sounds when set for movie watching. Once I have determined whether TC on or off is best for my particular setup, I wouldn’t tend to change that setting unless I had made a change in my system. The exception comes when there is a DVD with audio mixed with such compensation already in place. I may not wish to compensate an already compensated DVD. If there were a standardized and sufficient description on each DVD, and if about 50% of home video releases had the compensation included, and 50% did not, I might be tempted to change the TC setting more often. Currently I evaluate at setup, make a choice, and leave it on or off for a long time.

Night Mode, however, is something I would like to be able to turn on or off easily, depending on the situation at a given moment. As to whether it was left on without my realizing it, I would suggest that either one of the following also be implemented:

Option 1 – when the night mode is turned on, and anytime that a status menu appears on-screen or changes on the pre/pro’s display, a “night mode: on” indication appears in addition to volume information or DSP mode information.

Option 2 – when the source is changed, or if the source type changes, the night mode is automatically set to off. This means every time you load a new movie, you’ll know that if you want Night Mode, you’ll have to turn it on.

Additional thought: there are times when I would like to engage a ‘night mode’ on sources other that DD.

So my vote is for night mode to be available on the remote.

Hope this helps!