Splotches...you love 'em or you hate 'em. I like them. I don't try to hide them. To me they add character to what might otherwise be a bland looking piece. Boards with a lot of curl in them are prized. I love the way the tiger striping breaks up the monotony of rails and aprons. But other people don't like the look at all. I find the flake in quartersawn white oak and the curl in cherry and maple something to treasure. It certainly doesn't cry out, 'I'm peel and stick'!

You do nice work. Nice, clean and uncluttered. Furniture that never goes out of style. You're giving me the itch to get back to it. I have what amounts to a full blown custom furniture shop in my basement that I haven't used for much of anything for the last 10 years. That's kinda sad...isn't it? Your enthusiasm might yet rekindle a spark in this pile of old shavings.

I've got copies of Fine Woodworking that go back to the days of B/W. Too bad you're so far away. I'd give them to you. Funny thing, I lived in El Cajon when I was stationed in San Diego. And that's where I first got connected to Pacific Stereo, where I worked until they went BK in '86.

I was going to take some pictures of some furniture pieces the other night when I noticed it was time to do a little rubbing out and respraying. I almost always use lacquer as a finish. It's lacking in durability but is so easy to repair. As soon as it warms up enough to use the garage as a spray booth I'm going to have some refinishing to do. However, I did find some photos I can scan. I'll post them somewhere and send you a link.
Outlaw 990; Carver TFM45 (mains); Carver TFM35 (surrounds); Carver TFM24 (bridged for center); Carver TFM15CB (rears); Acoustic Research AR9 mains; Polk CS400I center; Polk FX500I surrounds; Polk FX300I rears; Sony KDS-60A2000; Oppo DV-981HD; MX-850