nfaguys --
When the carousel motors on one of those boys stops working it is one heckuva mess. I used to be a regional service manager for a large consumer electronics company and boy did we ever catch hell when a carousel changer was brought in with a bunch of CD's stuck inside.

AvFan --
The more I think about it the more I believe my inner self wants a display cabinet that displays only when the doors are opened. Like with you, the CD's are already on a hard disk and are played from there. Except, of course, for the SACD and DVD-A discs.

I'm playing with sketches at the office when I should be working. When I have something tangible I'll take a couple of photos and post them with basic measurements. This will likely not happen until it's too cold to hold a golf club without winter gloves. The weather in the Chicago area has been gorgeous the last few days.

I construct most of my furniture empirically. There are some instances where a full size drawing is helpful, but for me not many. I think a full size mockup can be very useful. Scrap wood, heavy cardboard, hot glue and staples give me an idea of size and scale. I build mostly in Arts & Crafts style, so construction is pretty straightforward. If you know Greene & Greene and Stickley you have an idea where I'm going. I did a lot of Chippendale furniture many years ago but the ex got it. I ended up not liking it so much in spite of all the time and effort spent carving feet and knees. I'll take a mission style table and chairs anytime.
Outlaw 990; Carver TFM45 (mains); Carver TFM35 (surrounds); Carver TFM24 (bridged for center); Carver TFM15CB (rears); Acoustic Research AR9 mains; Polk CS400I center; Polk FX500I surrounds; Polk FX300I rears; Sony KDS-60A2000; Oppo DV-981HD; MX-850