Here is an exchange I had with Outlaw customer service. Haven't heard a reply yet to my response but i've only just sent it.

Thoughts? Reactions?

Here's the exchange, read from bottom:

I do not understand, and I am disappointed in this decision from a company that prides itself on its customer service. I think your decision is arbitrary and wrong. I understand a restocking fee in a case where the stands have been assembled, or even unpacked. In my case, I opened the box and pulled out one piece--enough to see that the quality I had hoped for wasn't there. I then replaced the piece, sealed up the box and sent it back.

Does it seem right that because the box is opened, you are charging me the same restocking fee that you would charge someone who pulled everything out of the box and assembled the stands? Not to me it doesn't. From a conglomerate I might expect a blind adherence to "policy." I do not expect it from you.

-----Original Message-----
From: Customer Support [mailto:customerservice@outlawaudio.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2003 10:18 AM
To: XXXX XXXXXX
Subject: Outlaw Audio

Hello XXXX,

Unfortunately, the speaker stands were open and can no longer be sold as new. Therefore, as stated in our return policy, we must charge a 15% restocking fee on this order. Thank you for understanding.

Thank You
The Outlaws