First off, I'll make a statement:

SVS does inhouse design their subs.

Second, I'll state VELODYNE SUCKS.

Its my opinion, and I think my opinion is at least as important as Curegeorg's. Also I don't think SVS is all that either. I've heard their fancy expensive one and I'd sooner buy a depth or something with musical bass and a lack of boominess.

I've only heard an LFM-1 a couple times, but imho it blows away most of the competition that is priced up to twice as much. Most, but not all.

There are so many things that can effect bass that weren't mentioned like cabinetry, etc. I've never been able to make a decision about a speaker or sub by looking at specs. I've been fooled too many times by specs.

You really have to LISTEN to a sub, just like a speaker. You have to decide what sounds better to YOUR ear. Don't listen to internet guys about speakers. Whatever they own, the love for the most part, and some will bash any other product.

SVS is a brand I would never offer anyone to criticize to loudly online. You will get wrongly attacked.

Facts are, every speaker/sub has its own musical note so to speak.

Make your own decisions and I'd suggest LISTENING to subs, with your own kind of music, in an environment that best suits you:

HOME.

Outlaw will accept returns and any high end audio store will let you take a demo home if they are decent. In fact most manufacturers of high end equipment demand their dealers allow just that. If a dealer won't let you take one home, email the manufacturer and see what they suggest.