Short note as I am still at work and they actually expect me to do something besides this lol I had hoped to have the time to post more regarding the LFM-1 as mine did arrive before Christmas. That being said, I do not have a lot of prior powered subwoofer experience, so I cannot say how it compares to it's "peers". Part of me feels I may well have been happy with any of the similar priced units made by HSU or SVS, but I really cannot say.

BUT, one thing is for certain, the LFM-1 is incredible. At the risk of offending anyone ( please forgive if I do ) but the first movie I watched with it on, the two Towers, made my kahunas vibrate as I sat on the sofa. I easily found 102-105 db of sound level without even pushing my system ( 950 pre pro/755 amp ) and, as hoped, I found I was listening to the movie at overall lower volume levels due to the bass. it's tight, works well in 2 channel stereo mode as long as I turn down the output volume from 7 to about 5, and overall simply performs. It also looks very nice with the plexi top, though it is large unit. On a scale of 10, I'm near a 10.. very happy with it for both 2 channel music and HT. It rumbles deep and hard for HT though is never boomy and only produces musical bass that is there. I have not taken frequency measurements, but can say I can often feel bass that I cannot hear. Maybe the HSU models or the SVS's are just as good but I'd find it hard to believe hey are any better.. it's truly a great speaker! Hope this helps!