"...wonder if any parts in that Mars Rover was made in China..." : Spiker

No, China was too expensive, Nasa got some of the parts from Mars and had them shipped to the U.S. and then the completed vehicle was then sent to Mars.

Seriouly, so many types of consumer equipment has been made overseas for so long that, unless a customer is willing to spend MUCH more for high-end type of equipment, there is not the option of buying something that was "made in the USA". Even the US military gets some of their uniforms from China.

I just learned that Levi no longer makes any of their jeans in the USA: their last US factories closed late last year. I am in a somewhat difficult situation because I have always bought Levis BECAUSE they were made in the US (and of course they are of good quality and they look fabulous on my lean, taught, muscular bod. (wink-wink, ha-ha) Now, I'll have to look for some other (probably niche type) blue jeans mfr. in the US.

I would have liked Levi to have kept one factory open in the US, even if they had to charge more (maybe even significantly more) for these products.

I realize that the vast majority of US comsumers want lower prices, and it doesn't matter that OTHER people will lose their jobs. Of course, things seem different when THEIR job is sent overseas. Maybe we should outsource more CEO and politician jobs overseas. The people making the decisions to outsource are not at risk of losing their jobs. And Americans will consider a McJob a high-end career.

------------------
the 1derful1