I went without a sub for a very long time, relying on my Paradigm Studio/60's to handle the bass. Eventually, I added a sub for a couple of reasons. First, without adding an ICBM to the mix, there was a lot of material on DVD-Audio discs that was being lost -- the DVD-A side of Blue Man Group's "Audio" album just didn't sound right compared to the DTS side, for example, because the LFE track was lost (my DVD-A player, like so many others, lacks any real bass management, and even the 950's multichannel analog bass management still needs a sub to be present). Second, I knew that there was some material on movie soundtracks that was well below the range of my Studio/60's. I added an SVS 25-31 PCi (which appears to be pretty similar to the LFM-1, based on specs) over a year ago, and was immediately glad that I did. It does add to the movie experience, and it really made a difference on DVD-Audio discs for me as well.

Based on the info we've seen so far, a $150 discount on the LFM-1 would make it an awesome deal for Raider. For that matter, at a regular price only $30 higher than my 25-31PCi currently sells for (and $20 lower than the SVS PB1-ISD or upcoming Hsu STF-3), the LFM-1 looks like it has a great deal of potential for anybody who is sub shopping.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review