Post script – when considering 770 vs. 7xM200, my initial thinking was very similar to curegeorg:

1) A single box with a single function has been historically and generally agreed upon as a better choice, all other things being equal.

2) I was definitely considering the amp-immediately-next-to-the-speaker approach. But then, which is more likely to contribute the fewest problems and maintain the better overall sound, longer interconnects with shorter speaker cables or shorter interconnects and longer speaker cables? This was part of my question to Outlaw prior to purchase.

I suppose if the 950 had a digital output for each channel with each M200 having a high quality DAC option, and/or balanced connectivity for the 950/M200 analog signals, I may have gone with 7xM200(dac).

In response to 1 and 2 above:

1) After considering many variables, I felt all other things were not equal and that some of these other things would have to be weighed in the decision making. Plus, there are compromises in almost every product design and production process. After considering specs and reviews, I felt that the 770, channel for channel, was not a lesser choice than 7xM200.

2) Part of Outlaw’s answer in favor of the 770 was shorter interconnects, longer speaker cable. I was aware of problems with both long interconnects and long speaker cables. I agreed that fewer potential problems existed with long speaker cables. I also felt that the problems with long speaker cables could, for the most part, be addressed.

My choice was the 770 with what is basically a flexible-tube-conductor cable having a resistance of 1.1 ohms per 1000 feet for speaker runs. Typical single-conductor 12AWG stranded copper is 1.6 ohms per 1000 feet. Single conductor stranded copper 10AWG will measure about 1 ohm per 1000 feet, 14AWG 2.6 ohms per 1000 feet and 18AWG 6.5 ohms per 1000 feet. For reasons I won’t go into here, I like the idea of a “hollow” conductor and keeping the resistance of the speaker wire on any round-trip run down to about 0.1 ohms or less.

As with most of us, the resources I have to spend on audio/video are less than I would like. As a result, my choices have been to give myself the bestbang4thebuck I can. I’m happy, for the most part, not to be chasing the nth degree of perfection at great cost. The results I see with Outlaw gear, some common sense, and a bit of eccentricity just for fun, have been great.

[This message has been edited by bestbang4thebuck (edited April 07, 2004).]