OFCCM,

I agree with you about the upgrade to electrostatic speakers. I did similar upgrades to resistors, caps, connectors and even changed the circuit topology a bit on my Acoustat speakers. I am VERY please with the improvement to the sound.

"AN exra $10 in parts that I add to the unit at home taken to the manufacturing side would probably increase the sales price by a $100 or more."

I do not understand why this has to be so. If a mfr. decides to use a $10.50 audiophile grade input coupling cap. instead of a $0.50, and there are no other changes to the production line other than installing the $10 more expensive part on the circuit board, then I do not see why the cost would go up by $100, except of course, if the mfr. gets greedy. Plus, for a part you or I would pay $10.50 for, a mfr. would buy in quantities so that the price per unit would be vastly less.

"Our model xyz amp, now with audiophile bombast model $$$ capacitors" may increase the panache of the product by $100. Don't sell the steak, sell the sizzle.

Paul

------------------
the 1derful1