I don't really have any argument with your original post regarding the transformation from tetrode to tridode etc. These are substantive modifications that can and do make the world of difference. They are a basic change in topology. My beef is with some of the mods that do fall into the "snake oil" category, some of which involve changing components basically for the sake of doing so. The benefits are often touted as "increased soundstage" or some other such indefinable claim. There are good reasons for changing things like capacitor types, and not so good reasons. Changes that can be defended by sound electronics theory are the only ones I pay attention to.

There are some very good mods available which do address cost cutting in the manufacturing phase. I have no beef with these. It's the mod-for-the-sake-of-modding mentality that I take issue with. All mods are not created equal.

The links you provided do not really tell me anything. Frankly, I don't care what manufacturers or those who do the mods say. They have their own self interests in mind and a huge grain of salt is indicated when evaluating their claims.

BTW, I design and construct a good amount of my own equipment, which is mostly tubed.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited June 06, 2003).]