Quote:
Originally posted by psyprof1:
If you can accommodate floor-standing speakers with some space behind them take a look at Magneplanars. Either the MMG or the MG12 would be under your cost ceiling and they both got a "walks on water" review in a recent issue of The Absolute Sound. You can even try the MMG at home for 60 days free except for the freight. They sure made a believer out of me.
If your tastes require strong bass below about 45Hz or lots of "slam" you'll also want a good subwoofer, which you can couple to the MMG without breaking your cost ceiling. I understand the bass controls on the 2150 make it very easy.
One caution: the Maggies are not highly sensitive / efficient. They are 4-ohm speakers and need a high-current amplifier. The 2150 should be able to drive a pair of them to 110-db peaks, which is a bit more than a symphony conductor's ears get when the orchestra's playing fortissimo. Only you can decide if that's loud enough for you.
My only problem with the Maggies, is the very specific sweet spot. I do know how great magnaplanar speakers can sound, as I've auditioned more than a few, and love the signature they usually have. But once you even stand up, the imaging and sound stage deviates from what they were when you were in the sweet spot, and I would just find that too irritating, unless I had a dedicated listening room furnished with only acoustic treatments, and chairs. But that's not going to happen in an apartment.

@Lanion, nope. I don't mind the treble knob at all. In fact, it really does a good job at smoothing things out for me when I need that extra bit of upper range. I just have a feeling though, that the 2150 would like to be paired with a less warm sounding speaker, and with more midrange to boot. The Energy's can sound great with a good recording, but I'm missing the mid range that I desire, and I'm hoping it's not the fault of the 2150.