Sorry of this has been addressed in the past, but I had some general questions around conversion, switching and connections

1) My DVD has component out as well as digital optical/coaxial. Should I connect the component as well as the digital? Is the optical/coax for AUDIO only and the component handles all VIDEO? I will use the DVD player for CD's and DVD's.

2) My TV has composite and S-Video. I assume S-Video is the better option and is video only. So does that mean I lose the benefits of the component/digital connection from the DVD? In other words, is the S-Video the weakest chain in the link?

What is the difference between upconversion and switching? I believe the 950 handles switching but not upconversion? Is this a serious problem for getting a clear picture? I have an older Mitsubishi TV but would move to a HD in the next 5 years (yeah...a slow adopter). I would like to keep things as simple as possible and switch through the 950.

Lots of questions, but I wanted to get some advice on this before I order the 950/7100 combo...which I plan to keep for the next 8 years or so. Thanks in advance.

-Mukund