Let me start by saying I did NOT build a separate preamp because I felt there was something lacking in my 950/770 setup. My reasons for the preamp was a combination of learning/hobby. I had read a lot about using tube electronics for audio for a while and on this board soundhound had always touted his use of these electronics. Myself being an absolute novice at how electronics work I jumped into the world of DIY tube stuff since there is a wealth of information/support on the web.

The first component I built was the tube preamp, mostly because it is the simplest and I didn't have speakers efficient enough to use with a power amplifier. After building this preamp I integrated it into my 950/770 setup in a fashion that allowed me to compare the tube preamp to the 950. I'll try and explain how I compared the two. I used a splitter on the stereo analog outputs from the Denon DVD player with one pair feeding the 950 and the other pair feeding the tube pre. I took the outputs from those two components and ran them into a switch box with the output going to the FL & FR of the 770. I could play a source on the Denon and set the volume of the two pre's with a sound meter to get equal volumes, then switch back and forth between the two to compare. In all fairness I did this to compare my built pre to the 950 because I felt the 950 was the standard to be met and I needed a reference point for any changes/tweaks I might try on the tube stuff. After many hours of listening and comparing the two there is a definite difference to me between the two but it is subtle, very subtle in this configuration I just described. I prefer the tube pre, possibly because it is the one I built and I want it to sound better. I do believe if someone were to compare the two in the fashion I describe above, that person may like the 950 better, maybe.

Now with all that being said in the past couple of weeks I have switched my system around a bit. First I upgraded the HT speakers to NHT T5's & M5's that are run from the 950/770 exclusively and for music I just finished a rebuild of a Dynaco ST70 powering a set of KEF's. So now the music is separated from the HT although I guess I could pipe the 950 into the Dynaco and see how that works, maybe this weekend. As it stands now I prefer the tube stuff for the stereo music, your mileage may vary. The 950/770 is still used for multi-channel DVD-A listening.

The 950 is superior to my previous Yamaha receiver as a preamp if that means anything.

Rack O' Stuff

First time trying to hyperlink so don't be surprised if it doesn't work.